We are thinking outside the ticked box by equipping Zurich employees to become activists in their communities. We unite NGOs and governments, businesses and local heroes to work with those most in need. By championing the champions and together looking at the bigger picture – in all its complexity – we have a better chance of addressing our society’s most pressing issues.
The Z Zurich Foundation is a charitable foundation funded by various members of the Zurich Insurance Group (Zurich). It is the main vehicle by which Zurich delivers on its global community investment strategy. It aligns with Zurich’s sustainability agenda, purpose & values, and culture.
We are driven by a set of fundamental principles
Our objective is to benefit vulnerable people
- We achieve more when we combine resources and expertise, working together with local champions, and with others, as equals and with shared objectives;
- We work with organizations who share our values, especially on diversity and inclusion, and who can increase our impact for our target beneficiaries;
- We support “participatory philanthropy” using skill-based capabilities and financial support, thereby creating novel approaches to collaboration;
- We value those who give their time freely to help us succeed, especially as much of our activities are managed and coordinated by volunteers;
- Awareness and engagement of Zurich employees is critical to our work; increasingly we will want other Zurich stakeholder groups to also engage and contribute to our programs to increase our overall charitable impact;
- We always strive for better and in doing so are not afraid of challenging the status quo
Our work aligns with the UN Sustainable Development goals (SDGs) and especially: SDGs 3, 4, 8, 11 and 13.
Where we come from
In 1973, for its 100th anniversary, Zurich Insurance Company Ltd and Zurich Life Insurance Company Ltd founded the Zürich Vita Alpina Jubiläumsstiftung and later renamed the Jubiläumsstiftung der Zürich Versicherungsgruppe. The original scope of the Foundation was primarily local with support to Swiss charitable endeavors of all sorts. In 2008, the Jubilee Foundation was renamed to Z Zurich Foundation*. The Foundation’s purpose is expanded beyond Switzerland to provide support to communities worldwide. Objectives comprise among others to put Zurich’s expertise as an insurer in the service of the general public and the world at large with the aim to enable people and communities to better understand risks and protect themselves.
*For distinctiveness purpose to the word “Zurich” (as city/Canton), required by the Commercial Register of the Canton of Zurich, the letter “Z” was added to the legal entity name of the Foundation.